Officers Quarters, Fort King George | Photograph: Copyright Edward Hernandez
In October 1777, Lord George Macartney, British Governor General of Grenada and Tobago, authorized the erection on “Scarborough Hill” of two barracks and double kitchen to house two companies of soldiers, together with capping the hill for a parade ground. By 1779 work was near completion.
In June 1781 Tobago fell to the French. By 1784 the French under General Blanchelande began construction of a fort on the hill. Work was halted in 1785 and resumed in 1786 under the administration of Count Dillon. The Fort was named “Fort Castries”. In 1789 it was renamed “Fort Republique” and “Fort Liberte” in 1790 when the garrison revolted. The British recaptured the fort in 1793.
Tobago was returned to France in 1801 but by 1803 was again a British Colony. The fort was then referred to as “Fort King George” after King George III, in 1804. On the 11th October 1847 a hurricane damaged and destroyed most of the buildings. A garrison was maintained until 1854.
Today the Fort is being restored and reconstructed and will be renamed Fort King George Heritage Park.