Hayes Court | Photograph: Courtesy Geoffrey MacLean, 17 May 2009
The plan to build a house for the Anglican Bishop was conceived in 1904 by Mr. Protheroe. In 1908, an anonymous gift of the site by two gentleman enabled construction to begin. Hayes Court was completed by the firm of Taylor & Gillies in 1910.
One of the Magnificent Seven buildings on the Queen’s Park Savannah, Hayes Court was named after Bishop Thomas Hayes, although he died in 1904 before the completion of the building. Bishop Hayes had served from 1889 as Bishop to Trinidad. He died in England, in 1904, while preparing to return to the Diocese after a short leave of absence.
Hayes Courts’ first occupant was the third Bishop of Trinidad, the Right Reverend John Francis Welsh. The building has traditionally been used as the residence of the Anglican Bishops to Trinidad. The only Bishop not to reside at Hayes Court was Bishop Arther Anstey, who arrived as Bishop to Trinidad in 1918. Bishop Anstey was forced, for financial reasons, to lease the house to the French Consul. The funds from this transaction were used to provide church schools in Trinidad & Tobago.
Hayes Court, as seen from the exterior, appears to be in a relatively sound state. This is probably because the building has been retained for use as a residence and has been consistently occupied and maintained. New structures have been added to the western side of the main house as the offices for the Diocese.