San Fernando Police Station, Harris Promenade, San Fernando
Little has been recorded about the San Fernando Police Station. The foundation stone was laid in February 1870 and may have been a forerunner to the Port of Spain Police Headquarters built in 1876. There are several architectural similarities between the two buildings.
The use of lancet windows and pointed arches framed in brick enclosing an arcade, used as the main circulation corridor, reflect Italian Gothic Revival. The grey stone would be limestone from the Piccadilly Quarries in Laventille, the yellow bricks lining the arches are yellow stock brick, probably used as ballast on ships or imported.
The building is one of the most imposing on Harris Promenade with its large tower, used initially as a lookout, and subsequently for radio communication.
On 17 February 2009, the station was gutted by fire. Restoration of the buildings is being considered.